Bronze lettered tablet
An Elephant Fountain was created “for Beal” in 1915. J. Williams Beal was an architect for MiKim, Mead & White before opening his own firm. It was Charles Follen McKim who designed the Boston Public Library, which was completed in 1895. A Memorial tablet for the BPL was dedicated in 1924, the same year this lettered tablet was done for Beal so there may be a connection. As the next generation of architects following McKim, the sons of J.Williams Beal continued his work and may have remained connected to Allen and to the Library and may have ordered an additional tablet for a different building. The architect was also connected to those who designed additions to Trinity Church where Allen did another lettered tablet in 1922.
The Castle in the Clouds in Moultonborough, New Hampshire was designed by Beal and his sons, John Woodbridge and Horatio (“Ray”) Beal in 1913-1914, but Allen could have remained connected to the New Hampshire property and have done other work for the owners, Thomas and Olive Plant. The couple lived in the Castle even after 1941-42 when the contents were auctioned off to pay his debts. Historical records at the Castle were not available.
Recorded in Diary on a list dated 1924