The Guild of Boston Artists was founded in 1914 in response to the Armory Show of modern art and continues into the present day at it’s original location on Newbury Street. Created as a non-profit organization to promote living artists by whom it was owned and operated, the Guild only accepted artists who represented the best of the traditional arts “while adhering to the highest standards of quality and presentation.” Frederick Warren Allen was a founding member.
The shining era for art in Boston was during the time when the Boston School of artists was active. The masters of this period of art, most notably Frank Benson and Edmund Tarbell, were flourishing in the late 1800s through the first quarter of the 1900s. During this time, American Impressionism was introduced and became wildly popular. The esthetic of the group was one of classical, ideal beauty with truthful and natural representation, crafted with sophistication and executed with skill in the academic disciplines. Many of the artists held influential positions as teachers at the Museum School and as leaders in the cultural community in Boston. Masters like Frank Benson, Bela Pratt and Frederick Allen were also part of the North Haven Artists Colony in Maine where they spent their summers, inspired by the light and nature of the beautiful island setting.
The Gallery is under construction. In the meantime, to see all pieces in the Boston School of Artists category, click here.