We have lost track of many pieces of sculpture that we now need to find. A list of the missing pieces is below; click on links to view more information about each piece and view its photo (if one exists).
We encourage anyone with photos of missing pieces to come forward as well as those who own a missing piece. Any and all information that you can share is greatly appreciated.
Christina B. Abbott, 323 High Street, Westwood, MA 02090
Architectural Installations and Large Memorials
- 1926-30 Pediment of the Archers (Exhibited but never placed, MISSING)
- abt 1926-30 Mantle decoration for a home by Guy Lowell, assumed to be a 4-5′ wide bas relief MISSING
Lettered Memorial Tablets
- 1922 Mount Hope Cemetery, town unknown. Bronze tablet found in N.Attleboro’s Mt. Hope Cemetery mounted on a bolder (no documentation by the cemetery, no signature, based on notes in diary. One found in memory of Robert F. Simmons) MISSING?
- 1924 Lettered tablet for Beal (accompanied an elephant fountain piece) MISSING
- 1926 Lettered memorial tablet for Dr. Perrin (originally proposed in 1922) MISSING
- 1910 W.P.Webber (first commission received for bas-relief portrait) MISSING
- 1910 Frank D. & L (perhaps sister and brother-in-law) Commission for relief recorded, Diary records relief of Frank cast by Torsky in 1911 MISSING
- 1912 Katherine Howe (child) for Mrs. D. Howe, cast at Torsky 4/10/12 MISSING
- 1912 Patten relief of child for Mrs. W.S. Patten in S. Natick. Cast at Torsky’s 10/16. Replica ordered 1/13/13, MISSING
- 1913 Arnold Slade, painter. Rectangular portrait sculpted in Paris and cast in bronze for 30 francs. Clay copy MISSING, last sold to dealer in Maine who has no record or memory of the relief.) Bronze in Private Collection
- 1913 Balch relief. Cast at Torsky MISSING
- 1913 Mrs. Alton Roberts of Brookline commissioned work, MISSING (see next line)
- 1914 John Roberts, commission from Mrs. Roberts of Marquette Michigan for a relief of her son John MISSING
- 1914 Reverend Jackson MISSING
- 1917 Matthews relief (Mrs. Bryant’s mother) MISSING
- 1918 Thurston baby boy, profile MISSING
- 1918 Evans children (Hathaway family, Philadelphia PA) MISSING
- 1918 Sherman MISSING
- 1918 Henry Ware Clarke, 2nd Lt. killed in France, front view MISSING
- 1918 Bailey memorial (payment recorded 11/15/18) MISSING
- 1918 Nancy Richmond MISSING
- 1919 Children of Dr. Swift (disappeared) MISSING
- 1920 Dr. Swift’s daughter’s profile. MISSING
- 1924 Wheeden front profile, 7 in bronze 7 in silver (Mrs. Jeannine L. Weeden, Providence RI) MISSING
- 1937 Mayor Nichols, Boston Hall of Fame MISSING
- 1937 Mayor Mansfield, Boston Hall of Fame MISSING
- 19__ Mr. and Mrs. Birch, Colorado (miniatures?) MISSING
- 12/1/10 Williams and Emery, MISSING.
- 2/23/10 Earl Sanborn, painter, 2/7/12 marble base added, exhibited at the MFA, again 2/7/13, exhibited at St. Botolph Club, April 1916. MISSING.
- 2/7/12 George “Bay” von L. Meyer, Jr., Son of Lectern von L. Meyer, Secretary of the US Navy, cast in bronze and mounted on a marble base, exhibited at St. Botolph Club, April 1916, MISSING.
- 3/30/12 Miss Iassigi, cast in bronze, MISSING.
- 4/17/12 Mrs. John S. Lawrence, cast in bronze, MISSING.
- 9/14/13 Little Carter girl. Miniature and original cast in plaster?, MISSING.
- 6/26/13 “Went to Mr.Ships. His bust had come.” MISSING.
- 1912-1913 Berthie Gibbs, Music instructor of Attleboro School, MISSING
- 4/16/13 George St.John Sheffield, cast in bronze, Yale Boat Club, Attleboro, exhibited at St. Botolph Club, April 1916, MISSING.
- 5/19/13 Mr. Hinckley, MISSING.
- 1914 or 1915 Miss Elizabeth Scriven Jackson (with relief of Reverend Jackson), exhibited at St. Botolph Club, April 1916, MISSING.
- 3/1914 Mrs Batchelder in Brookline (also gave her lessons), MISSING.
- 1914 Milton Peck, Art student who died in the war, plaster sat on the Studio windowsill for years, broken or lost in moving, MISSING.
- 1914 Elisabeth (Pratt) Kennedy, MISSING.
- 1916 Rev. Abraham Mitrie Rihbany, Unitarian Minister, cast in bronze, exhibited at St. Botolph Club, April 1916, MISSING.
- 1917 Mrs. Matthew. MISSING.
- 1918 George Agassiz, MISSING.
- 19__ Dudley Pratt, son of Bela Pratt, MISSING
- 1920 Richmond, MISSING.
- 1927 Robert Woods. Settlement worker, South End House, Boston, MISSING.
- 1930 Francis Kershaw, Marlborough, NH. White marble, MISSING.
- 1930’s Buckingham Sears, MISSING. (born 1911, student at SMFA)
- 1940 Woodrow Wilson, cast in bronze, half life size, given to Dr. Daniel L. Marsh, President of Boston University for his retirement, gift of the Boston Rotarians, MISSING.
- 19__ Mr. Correluski, Ironmonger in exchange for lessons, MISSING.
- 19__ Cushman Clapp, “mother moved out west,” MISSING.
- abt 1926 St. Francis holding a bird, stone (granite?), placed on a birdbath in garden behind chapel on Stone Pond, stolen during one winter when left outside, MISSING.
Medallions and Medals
- 1920’s? Seven small medallions, copies made in plaster from “shells” or molds by Gordon Allen for family members, circumstantial evidence that all except one were made by Allen, copies made for family. Molds MISSING.
- 1921-22 Peabody Medal, commission from Charles Coolidge in the Fall on Proposed commissions list from 1922 MISSING
- 1912 Jordan Statuette, dancing figurette of Dorothy Jordan exhibited at the Museum of Fine Arts with Frogs and Sanborn bust, MISSING. There is a note about a dancing girl broken at an exhibit and lost.
- abt 1914 Gladiator Victor, original clay MISSING, bronze exhibited at St. Botolph Club, April 1916, MISSING, plaster cast in private collection
- abt 1914 Hermes, bronze, MISSING.
- abt 1914 Orpheus, bronze, exhibited at St. Botolph Club, April 1916, MISSING.
- 1914 Head relief, excerpt from the Panel of Painting on the Evans WIng of the MFA, exhibited at St. Botolph Club, April 1916. MISSING
- abt 1915 Japanese Juggler, exhibited at St. Botolph Club, April 1916. MISSING
- abt 1915 Russian Dancing Girl, exhibited at St. Botolph Club, April 1916. MISSING
- abt 1915 Jack Rabbit (auto mount), exhibited at St. Botolph Club, April 1916. MISSING
- abt 1914 Spirit of the Antique, bronze exhibited at St. Botolph Club, April 1916, (may be Allen’s name for the marble Torso of a Dancing Girl). MISSING
- 1916 Mother and Child, bronze, exhibited at St. Botolph Club April 1916, one of 18 of his pieces shown, MISSING
- 1916 Mother and Child, excerpt of head portion. Alternative sculpture also exhibited, MISSING
- 1917 Niche figure for Gates (or Gales) MISSING
- 1918? Mantle decoration for Guy Lowell, Architect, MISSING.
- 1920 -1924 Eros, Cupid boy figure for Arthur Davis, Mill Neck Long Island, copy held by Guy Lowell in Swampscott, both figures MISSING.
- 1929-30 Pediment of Archers, exhibited at an Alumnae Show, never placed, MISSING.
- 1960 Pegasus, sculpmetal? MISSING
- 1960 Tree Trunk for Hallowells in North Haven, MISSING.
- 1961 Leaping Fish, sculpmetal, made for Mrs. Jennings in North Haven, ME, MISSING
- 1912 Frog, listed as “Frog (large) for rock” on commissions list. MISSING
- 1913 Duck Boy, for G.K.Billings, Santa Barbara, CA, exhibited at Concord Art Association in their Ninth Annual Exhibition in 1925. Copy made for Lowell. MISSING.
- 1913 Dolphin Fountain for Mrs. E. Alford, Brookline, MA, cast in bronze, MISSING.
- 1912-13 Boy Fountain (perhaps “boy with foot on turtle”) cast in bronze, MISSING.
- 1914 Boy with Goatskin, Piping Rock Club, Long Island, MISSING.
- 1915 Elephant Fountain for Beal, MISSING.
- 1919 “Fountain Figure” of a young girl. Daughter Barbara posed at age 4, round base with rams heads joined by festoons, MISSING.
- 1922 Frog Fountain, (listed as paid in 1922), exhibited at MFA with 2 Crippled Frogs, Sanborn bust and Jordan statuette, MISSING.
- 1922 Satyr (Grotesque Masque) for fountain in courtyard of Tavern Road Studio, stolen from North Haven boathouse and still MISSING.
Wax Medical Replicas
1909-1911 Dermatology medical models for study, made using the Lost Wax Process, for Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital, Dr. Bowen supervising as Professor of Dermatology and Syphilis, funding by Dr. Weld. Diseased body parts cast and colored realistically from behind. MISSING.